Thursday, June 30, 2005

War of the Worlds


Sorry. I couldn't think of an original headlinesque title. It's past midnight on a Wednesday. Nobody should be surprised by my lack of creativity.

But I just got home from watching War of the Worlds, and I wanted to do a quick review before I forgot anything.

First of all, I want to say that it has been awhile since I've seen a special effects film and have actually been VERY impressed with the effects. But there were moments in War of the Worlds that I just said "wow." One moment in particular that involves a flaming train speeding past was just breathtaking. The aliens were cool, but nothing special as far as aliens go. They were fairly similar to those seen previously in films like Independance Day and Signs. One different thing about them is the way they moved. It was really quite creepy.

I don't want to go into much detail because I'd hate to spoil the film, but I will say that the story is fun and there were some edge of the seat moments. The basic story involves aliens in these big machines that come up from the ground. Beware of holes in the asphalt. An alien death machine with three spindly legs might emerge unexpectedly from them. Tom Cruise was very good in his role of a part time father who just didn't know how to relate to his kids. Of course, the subplot has to do with him learning how to relate to them, etc.

Honestly, I was concerned going into this film that I wouldn't be able to watch it without thinking of the current Tom Cruise craziness that has been all over the media lately. But actually, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the film at all. Except once, when his character is sleeping on a sofa with his daughter (played beautifully by Dakota Fanning) and the thought popped into my head "in ten years or so, he can propose to her in Paris." But I quickly squashed that thought and the movie went on. One word about Dakota Fanning. This kid can act. Someone I know said she will have an Oscar before she hits puberty, and I totally agree with that. The kid is awesome. And she's the most sympathetic and interesting character in the film, even with Tom's conflicted and intense character.

The big reveal at the end was very interesting and I thought it made sense. I haven't seen the original movie that was done in the 50's, nor have I heard copies of the radio broadcasts, so this movie was my introduction to the story, other than what I've heard from my father, who was a big fan of the old movie.

Overall, the movie is good and enjoyable. It's a rousing adventure with some edge of your seat moments. But don't think about it too much, because over analysis will poke major holes in the asphalt.. I mean story.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:31 AM

    EEK! I can't wait to see it!! I also agree on everything you said about Batman. I've been a fan of Christian for awhile. However, the only part I didn't think he was that great at was trying to do a deep voice. Just wasn't working out that great. I'm also a Christin-stop by my "place" sometime. zipporah32.blogspot.com, and 100 pts if you can guess who zipporah is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Thanks for the comment! I agree about the voice. It was sort of strange.

    I think I can win those 100 points... didn't Moses marry a woman named Zipporah? I think I remember that right. Anyway, I'll check out your blog later today and leave a comment. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete