Thursday, June 16, 2005

"Dear God, I can't wait to see you"

Day 3 of Bible School is over and yet another cute postcard came my way. The above was written by a first grade girl. Another favorite was, "Dear God, What is heaven like?"

Kids can be so profound in their questions sometimes. Anyway, I had first and second grades last night. They were awesome. We played the games, did the Bible story, and they memorized their verse so quickly it almost freaked me out a little. Tonight I have third and fourth graders. My nephew Noah is in that class, so I'm looking forward to being his teacher. I hope they have a good time. The material for tonight is really quite fun, so hopefully they will enjoy it.

In other news, I've decided to take the Summer WriMo challenge at www.nanowrimo.org Normally, National Novel Writing Month is in November, and participants try to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. It's really hard, let me tell you! I have attempted it two years in a row now and haven't won. But this year I'm going to win no matter what! Of course, those two previous years I was working and in school at the same time I was trying to write, so it's understandable that I didn't make it to the finish line. But the Summer WriMo challenge is a little easier. I set my own goal of 75,000 words by the end of August. That will complete my inspirational romance and allow me to send it off this fall. Hopefully by this time next year I will have a book published with my name on it!

I've decided that, since my goal is to have a book published before I'm 30, if it looks like I'm not going to make it, I will probably choose one to self-publish. After all, it's more and more accepted and so many people actually do really well when they do it. I would rather do it the traditional way, but sometimes you have to do things for yourself.

Another goal I have is to submit to at least 4 writing contests this year and next. I'm also going to find a good writing conference to attend next year for my vacation from work. So I'm working on a lot of things that I hope will turn out great for me.

I'll be posting my word count every day for Summer WriMo, just to keep me in line.

Summer WriMo Goal: 75,000 words before August 31
Novel Title: Summer's Blossom
Novel Genre: Inspirational Romance
Current Word Count: 6,000 words

No comments:

Post a Comment