Friday, November 04, 2005

Progress Report

My fingers hurt and my eyes are tired, but it's worth it! Today I will hit the 10,000 word mark on my novel. And the funny thing is, it's going really well. The characters are not annoying me yet, it hasn't spiraled downward into the abyss of bad dialogue and cheesy situations (that was my greatest fear) and I haven't wanted to throw the entire manuscript into the bay yet (although I'm sure that day will come!)

I read a small snippet of the novel to my mother last night and she cried. Frankly, I was shocked... and a little afraid.

So anyway, once I break 10,000 I will only have 40,000 words to go. If the entire novel comes as easily as the last 10,000 words, I'll be finished in no time! Then comes the extremely painful and tedious process of editing. I'll save that for December, which I have hereby dubbed, National Novel Editing Month. It won't be nearly as fun as November, but I want to be finished with the book, and I mean completely finished and ready to submit to publishers, by the first of next year. I will send it on January 1. That's my goal.

I hope all you other NaNoWriMos out there are doing well on your novels. I intend to really work hard this weekend since it's the first weekend of the month. I hope all of you get a lot done this weekend too!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're making terrific progress. I'm afraid I won't be giving any part of my novel to my parents to read. They really don't understand this writing hobby of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother is very supportive, my dad thinks I'm nuts. It's a pretty good mix, lol.

    You seem to be making good progress too. We rock! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Keep it up! I can't believe how must some of you folks have done...it's just amazing.

    Darn browncoats with your rusty space-ship, tortured romances, and ex-bounty hunters, always having extra time and getting crap done *mumble mumble*.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, sounds like you know a lot about us Browncoats? Could your coat be a brownish color too? :)

    Seriously, I can't believe how much some people have written. I'm totally jealous of my co-ML, who has way more words than I do! And some people are finished? It's insane!

    ReplyDelete