Saturday, January 07, 2012

Sewing a skirt

My first big sewing project!  I started with this pattern that I purchased along with several others, at Hobby Lobby on sale for 99 cents.  You could only buy 10 of them, so I bought 10.  Some are way beyond my skills, but I figured I could grow into them!  Anyway, I started with this pattern, which has a base skirt and several "flounces" to sew onto the bottom.  I chose the one with the slit and the bow, but I eliminated the bow.  For some reason, I just didn't like the bow.

So I cut out the pattern and pinned it to the fabric (Jo-Ann's Fabrics, on sale for $4 per yard)  This was a fun task because I had nowhere big enough to pin and cut the fabric.  The dining room table proved to be the best place for this, so we cleaned it off and used it!
So here are all the pieces for the basic skirt cut out based on the pattern pieces I was supposed to cut out.  It was time to start sewing, the part that was the most frightening to me!  Remember, I have never done anything remotely like this before getting this sewing machine in November, so I was a little bit terrified!  However, it worked out okay, because when I was finished, I had this...

These are the two sides of the skirt.  I then put those together to get a skirt-like structure, a tube of fabric, really, that was very, very short.  I had originally thought of just doing the basic skirt to see how everything worked, but I knew I couldn't wear it like that - no seriously, it was THAT short.  So I chose a flounce and cut those pieces out, put them together, and attached them to the basic skirt.  And came up with this cute little thing that I plan to wear to church tomorrow!  It's not as shiny in real life as it is in this photo, we had all kinds of strange light coming from everywhere - lots of lamps in the craft room.  Overall, I'm really happy with it.  There are some problems, of course.  There always are when something is hand made.  Of course, the machine did most of the work!  So here's a pic of my very clothing sewing project.  I hope it doesn't fall apart while I'm wearing it!




1 comment:

  1. My mother taught herself to sew in exactly the same way under exactly the same conditions, so you're in good company and you're going to do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete