Sunday, January 01, 2012

My word for 2012

After looking at the words I listed in a previous post and realizing that making the decision was going to be difficult considering all the possibilities that are in store in 2012, I changed my mind and decided to use a word that has many facets and basically encompasses all the words I listed before.  So my word for 2012 is going to be HEALTHY.

Yes, healthy.  There are so many ways to be unhealthy and so many things to focus on when you are interested in being a truly well-rounded and healthy individual.  This word will actually be a lovely way to focus on things without making actual resolutions, which I am hesitant to do these days because they just get broken.  So rather than making resolutions, I'm focusing on being more healthy in several different areas.


I found this wheel and an amazing description of each aspect of it here.  While it is a university website so geared more toward students, I am going to use it to design an overall wellness plan for me and for my life.  In this year of new beginnings, I believe it is just what I need to do.

So here's what I plan to do with my word for 2012 - focus on these areas in different ways to truly become healthy.  Each area needs some work and some attention.  And altogether, these areas absolutely cover every aspect of my life.  So this is what I plan to do with each focus area.

Physical
Regular exercise, eating more healthy and well-balanced meals, and paying attention to what my body is telling me.  I am learning more about my body and am becoming more aware of everything it has to say about what's happening inside.

Intellectual
Exercise the brain!  I am going to take some time to do brain puzzles and keep my mind active.  Learning how to do new things is one great way to keep the brain active, and my newest hobby (sewing) will provide a great chance to exercise lots of brain areas!

Social
Spending time with friends and family, not just on facebook, but in real life, is a hugely important part of social health.  I will make a commitment to spend quality time with family and friends, and will work on making some new friends and developing new relationships, perhaps at our new church when we decide on one.

Environmental
This is a big one for me.  My home is my sanctuary.  While some amount of clutter is inevitable, especially with two adults who have big hobbies, two dogs who get into everything, and eventually children who pretty much destroy everything, (lol) I'm not a big fan of things getting too cluttered.  I love for things to be organized and neat.  If I could keep it looking like a magazine spread, I totally would.  But really I am just shooting for the house looking nice enough for company at any given time.  Organizing papers and making sure there's a system in place will help with that.  Organizing cabinets and designating a place for everything will also help.  Ensuring that we are both mindful of this and working toward keeping things looking nice is a huge step toward environmental wellness.

Financial
Budgeting and sticking to it.  Spending responsibly and saving where possible.  Paying off credit cards and not using credit irresponsibly anymore.  Working toward a raise or a job with a higher salary.

Spiritual
Find a church to attend regularly.  This one has been bothering me for awhile now.  It's just so easy to fill up the weekend with activities and errands and chores.  I miss my spiritual relationships and the renewal in my spirit that I receive when going to church regularly.  I miss singing and praying and praising.  I want to get back to that soon.  I miss sharing things with people in Bible study and/or prayer group.  I have been reading my Bible but it's not the same.  I want to start really going to some different churches and seeing which ones we click with and which ones we don't. It's very important to me to have a church family before we start our family.

Emotional
Work on my response to stress.  RELAX!  Allow myself time to be creative and to play.  Enjoy the moment.  Write, write, write.  Indulge in hobbies, both old and new.  Read books for fun.  Spend some time alone if needed.  Try not to become devastated if things don't happen right away.  Good things come to those who wait.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment