Tuesday, April 03, 2007

no book... no brain...

Okay, so it wasn't that bad. Tonight was our first off-book rehearsal, and I have to say, it could have been worse. I did have to call for lines a few times, but I certainly wasn't the only one in the cast who did. In fact, there wasn't a single cast member who didn't. That actually made me feel better, even though opening night is the 20th of this month! Yes, I said the 20th of this month! It's coming up really quickly. One thing that always happens after I get rid of the book is that I finally start to truly get a sense of my character. I believe I'm beginning to see glimpses of that now. It's not an easy character, by any means, so I'm having to work harder than I ever have before. It's pretty obvious I haven't done this in a long time... lol...

But all in all, it was a great rehearsal and a wonderful experience because I really needed to get rid of the script. Once that happens, once you get rid of that security blanket, it's so much better, so much easier to really become that person.

I'm still getting to know the other cast members and there isn't a single one that I dislike. They really are a great group of people. We might go out after rehearsal on Thursday. I hope we do. It's always great to get to know someone outside the environment you usually encounter them in, and as much as I'm enjoying getting to know them in the context of the play and their characters, I want to get to know them outside that environment too.

I want to be completely honest about this, so here goes. I didn't write today. I didn't write yesterday, except in my journal. I need to get back to some of my novel projects, and there's one I'd like to start but am putting on hold because of the insane number of unfinished novels I have sitting there, waiting for some attention. Maybe this idea would be fun for NaNoWriMo... It does seem like the kind of novel that would work for that month. I think that's what I'll do with it... put it on the shelf until October, when I will dust it off and make an outline for November. Yes, that's what I think I'll do. In the meantime, I'm getting back to Deadly Council and Under the Magnolia Tree. After the Storm has stopped for the time being and I'm not in a hurry to pick it back up any time soon. Hurricane season is looming once again, and just thinking about that book makes me dread June 1. I really, really hope we don't get a storm this year.

I haven't said anything about work yet, and there's a reason for that. My mother always said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Since I currently can't say anything nice about work, I'm just keeping my mouth shut. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Maybe things will get better soon. Maybe after the Fundraiser is over. I can't even express how much I'm looking forward to my vacation week. I am going to enjoy that time off more than anything in the world! Seeing new places... traveling across the country... it's going to be great! I wish it could be next week. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh trust me, I've been working on lines outside of rehearsal! It's pretty much all I've been doing. I guess community theatre is a little different, though. Since the actors are not being hired for the job, it's not quite as intense. If I were being hired for a job and the director expected me to be off book in a week, I would certainly do everything I could reach that goal.

    You are absolutely right about not being able to work on the meat of the piece when you're staring into the script. I found that I was more in character last night than I have been since we started. I still have a long way to go, but there is progress.

    ReplyDelete