Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Knitting is hard

I have to go buy a better knitting book. I've finally figured out how to do the knit stitch, but I can't figure out how to bind off. The pictures just don't explain the process very well and I'm getting totally confused. It's so frustrating because I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but I can't manage to do this thing that millions of people learn how to do when they are kids! Of course, I'm sure I'll feel the same way when I start learning how to sew. I guess I'm in for an interesting 1001 days!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Which one do you have?

    COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE is okay.

    But, believe it or not, I learned how to both knit and crochet from an old, old, OLD book for children called MARY FRANCES'S KNITTING AND CROCHETING BOOK (or something like that). There are a series of books about this overly good little girl -- but the knitting and crocheting instructions are the best I've found anywhere.

    I found it on my shelf: THE MARY FRANCES KNITTING AND CROCHETING BOOK by Jane Eayre Fryer (Jane Eayre? As in Eyre? Bet you dollars to doughnuts it's a pen name) published by the John C. Winston Company in Philadelphia in 1918.

    Devon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the "for dummies" one and am really not impressed with it, but I've heard that Stitch 'n Bitch is really good. I'll look for the one you mentioned and see if I can find it, though. I really want to become more "crafty."

    ReplyDelete