Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Decisions... decisions...

So here it is, the decision I need to make. I want to go to grad school. I want to do it soon, before I get too old and tired to go to class (lol) The only problem is, I'm not sure what I want to study. I have several choices that would help with the things I want to accomplish in my life, and they all sound great, but I'm just having a hard time figuring out which one to do. So here are the options, in no particular order.

Fine Arts/Creative Writing - This would help me hone my writing and could possibly teach me something I need to know in order to become a published writer. The only problem is, I don't have to have this degree to have this career, so I'm not sure it's the best option, although it would be the option that is most fun. I know I would really enjoy the classes and would learn a lot, but I'm not sure a Master's degree in creative writing would really further my plans. But I'm not sure...

Communication - This would enable me to teach, which is something I really would like to do. I'd love to teach oral communication and public relations classes, as well as journalism classes. I could see myself being the faculty advisor for a student newspaper or a public relations society. I have all these ideas about how to teach students what it's really like to work in the public relations field.

Public Administration - This would be great for advocacy and policy, two things that I really enjoy that I never thought I would. With this degree, I would be more prepared to eventually become an executive director for a nonprofit one day, which is something I've recently decided I would like to do. I was talking to someone the other day and she said it's a very good degree to have. I need to research it further to see what it would do for me and then figure out if it would be better than the next option.

MBA - This option scares me to death, actually. It's not something I ever considered, but my boss said it is the best option to make me the most marketable. She said if I ever decide to leave the nonprofit sector, it would be easier to find a job if I have this degree. The big problem with it is, I'm not sure I can do the work. I've heard MBA programs are tough, and I'm just not sure I can do it.

So anyway, this is the big decision and I'm not sure what to do. I know I want to get some kind of Master's degree, I'm just not sure which one. If anyone out there has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment