Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Getting to know you day at CaC

Here is today's question:

If someone from your local community college approached you about teaching a class, would you do it? What subject? Would there be field trips? What books would be required reading? Any guest lecturers?

My answer? That's a tough one! I'm not sure I know enough about anything to actually teach a class on it! If I knew more about writing, I'd want to teach a class in it. Maybe one day I'll have enough experience to actually do that. I suppose I could teach public speaking. I think I'd make a good public speaking teacher because I have helped people become comfortable speaking in front of a crowd before. Also, I think it would be really interesting to see what people decided to speak about!

If I were to teach a class at a 4-year university (not a leisure studies-type class at a community college) I would want to do a media training class for public relations students. It would be set up like a workshop. Every week, the journalism students and the public relations students would be split into pairs (one of each per pair) and they would be given a crisis situation to deal with. The journalism students would spend the week figuring out how to get the story from the public relations students, and the public relations students would spend the week coming up with a crisis communication strategy. At the end of the week, they would play out the scenario in front of the class, each dealing with the crisis in whatever way they see fit. This, of course, is based on something I learned when I got out of school... nothing we studied prepared me for crisis communication! I've actually decided to start this class if I ever manage to get my Master's degree and actually teach!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    You could teach a class on grant writing. That's a very specific skill and most people who try to write grants don't know how to approach it.

    BTW, I'm starting to knit again -- I even started a blog about it -- The Tactile Muse

    http://thetactilemuse.wordpress.com

    You don't know how many times I've wailed, over the past days, "I wish Anita was here to help me!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about grant writing! That is something I would absolutely teach.

    I'll have to check out your new blog, and if you ever have any questions about knitting, let me know! I may not have the answer, but I'll try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I need to take a class on grant writing. Science grant writing, to be more specific. I attended a grant writing seminar once, but it was totally unhelpful because the question and answer session was dominated by old people trying to get money for arts programs.

    ReplyDelete