I've been thinking a lot about diversity and equality lately. It's extremely important. I found this neat list of 10 things we can do to celebrate diversity, so I wanted to post this. It was on the University of Alaska Web site, if anyone is curious.
10 Ways to Celebrate Diversity
1. Respect Everyone. We're all human beings, and we're all equal too. Treat others the way you want them to treat you.
2. Make the connection. We are much more alike than at first it seems. We all have hearts and minds and dreams.
3. Be Proud of Your Heritage. You are special - don't keep it inside. Share your culture background with pride.
4. Keep an Open Mind. Listen to what others have to say. You're sure to learn something new that way.
5. Learn About Other Cultures. Explore the world that we all share. It's you world, too, so show you care.
6. Avoid Sterotyping. Don't judge others based on their looks. It's what's inside that matters - just like with books.
7. Enjoy Multicultural Activities. Go to cultural festivals, concerts, and more. The world's full of interesting things to explore.
8. Study Another Language. You discover other cultures as you learn what people speak, whether it's Japanese, Spanish, Swahili, or Greek.
9. Reach Out. Friends of all backgrounds bring something new. Get to know people different from you.
10. Build Peace. Kind actions and words help spread peace with ease. Tolerance, love, and trust are the keys.