Sunday, August 21, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince a magical book!

Okay, I've been stalling on this one for quite awhile now. I didn't really want to do it, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it justice. But here goes.

That. Was. Awesome.

There, that's my review. Just kidding.

When we last left our heroes, they were saying goodbye to each other at the train platform after a terrible battle at the Ministry of Magic with Lord Voldemort himself. See, I'm not afraid to say his name. Anyway, this book begins with quite a bit of preamble involving certain characters that we have not yet met, and other characters that we thought we knew. After this somewhat different beginning, we see Harry, waiting for Dumbledore to come and get him for a mysterious mission. The mission, we find out later, is to help Dumbledore recruit a new teacher. Not exactly the stuff of legends, but Harry Potter can do anything, right? This book proves that, certainly.

Anyway, the book continues on and reveals some long-awaited answers to questions fans have had since the beginning of the series. However, it also raised some new questions and a mystery that will surely take more than one more book to solve. Unless J.K. Rowling is some kind of witch. (a good witch, of course!)

Some of the high points: *****Spoilers Ahead*****









Ron and Hermione... Yay!
Harry and Ginny..... Yay!
Lupin and Tonks.... Where did that come from... but still... Yay!!

Horcruxes - so many, so little time. How is Harry going to find four more of them by the end of Book 7? And he's not going back to Hogwarts? How strange is that going to be. However, I do look forward to seeing Ron and Hermione at the Dursleys house at the beginning of the next book.

Personally, I thought everything was very well done. It was truly a magical book, from the plot points to the relationships, everything was perfect. And the death, it made me cry. Lots. But I feel it had to be done. As a writer myself, who is actually contemplating killing off a particular character for the good of the story, I understand what a struggle Rowling must have had in doing it. I feel for her and applaud her decision. It was a beautifully written and appropriate death, and it caused many more questions to be answered in the next book.

I personally think she should give us at least two more, but that's just me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:30 PM

    she should give us way more than two more!!!

    ReplyDelete