Monday, May 09, 2005

"O me! O Life!" by Walt Whitman

There has been a lot of talk (with the recent release of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) about the ultimate question. I'd say the ultimate question is basically "Why are we here?" or "What is our purpose in life?". Walt Whitman posed this question in his poem, "O Me, O Life," and I think he came up with a very good answer.

"That you are here. That life exists, and identity. That the powerful play goes on and you will contribute a verse."

What is your verse? What is mine? I used to think my verse would have to be grand and sweeping, like a starring role in a Broadway play or a Hollywood movie. Or a best selling novel. While I have not given up my ambitions, especially that last one, I have changed my idea of what my verse may be. I have decided that every day I can find a way to contribute a verse in a unique and wonderful way. I can be kind to someone. I can offer encouragement. I mentioned in a previous post that I think the world would be a better place if we all showed more compassion. I believe that with all my heart. If I am the only one shouting the message of love and compassion from the hilltops, I will continue shouting. It is a message the world needs. So no matter who you are, no matter where you are, you can contribute a verse in the powerful play.

I think the reason I feel so strongly about showing compassion is because I am a Christian who tries to live the way Christians are supposed to live. The message Jesus preached was one of compassion and love. It's time for us to show that love and compassion for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment