Thursday, July 10, 2008

Arrowhead lace not working out

I may have to frog the arrowhead lace shawl. I'm having so much trouble with it! If you forget just one of the many, many, many yarn overs, it screws up the entire pattern and you have to rip back and start over. The only problem is, you don't always know you messed up until a few rows later, so all that effort is wasted. Because of the complex nature of this project, I decided to start on a simple one that is also designed to get rid of a lot of the yarn I bought when I first started knitting. It also fulfills my desire to quilt (sort of) because it's based on a quilt pattern. It's a log cabin blanket and I had started a variation of it for my nephew some time ago but I don't really like the way it's turning out so I might rip it out and start over. I want to do a traditional log cabin design, as a tribute to the quilters who made them long ago. I'm thinking about using the "barn raising" design, because something about it really appeals to me. So anyway, the good thing about knitting a log cabin blanket is that it's fairly mindless - all garter stitch - but it's interesting because you only knit a little of each color so you get to change colors fairly frequently. I can't wait to see how the first square turns out! I will be posting a picture when the first square is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment