Thursday, October 04, 2007

Downward Spiral

Okay, I decided not to mull it over for a few days after all. I'm going for the new idea. I'm still trying to decide exactly how I'm going to do it. I'm thinking a diary-type style, something with dates, so that I can show the year and a half time period that I'm covering. Well, it's approximately a year and a half. I called it mainstream fiction on the NaNo site, but I'm not sure that's what it is. I'm not sure what it is, to be honest, and I'm not sure I'll know until it's finished. It's a story I have to tell, I think. It's something I have to get out of my head and onto the page. I'm working on the specifics now, but last night I did a quick outline and it sounds pretty interesting so far. I'm sure many, many other authors have explored a descent into depression that eventually turns into a severe form of agoraphobia, but I like to think my story will be different in some way. Perhaps I can offer a unique voice or perspective? I have seen a similar descent in someone who used to be close to me, so I think I can convey it effectively. Of course, this will be purely fictional, so I won't be using any actual circumstances in the book, but I think basing a character on the struggles I've seen is not unheard of in the world of fiction. In fact, it happens all the time. This will be challenging and emotional for me, but I think it's exactly the novel I'm meant to write at this moment in my life. We'll see what happens! And if you want to watch my own descent into madness while I write this novel, the graphic above all my posts is a link leading directly to my posts about NaNoWriMo, so you can follow it daily if you want. Check back often, because in November, I post every single day. (I actually try to post every day throughout the year, but sometimes that doesn't happen!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:18 AM

    Of course it will be different - it's yours. You bring your own unqiueness to the project.

    ReplyDelete