Monday, September 29, 2008

My Patons Wool Adventure

Quite some time ago, I very enthusiastically purchased 5 skeins of Patons wool yarn in a lovely sage.  I planned to make an arrowhead lace shawl whose pattern contained only instructions I was familiar with or could look up online to identify.  I felt sure it would be simple enough for me to complete without too much trouble.  I was WRONG!  The pattern is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but with the endless yarn-overs and no way to really keep track of how many you've done in any given row, I kept screwing up the pattern and having to rip it back.  After ripping the entire thing back three times and then forgetting where I left off, I decided to make the shawl into a kerchief and do something else with the lovely wool.  Here's the awesome kerchief that I made from the shawl.  I somehow had just enough done to make it the perfect size.


I wear this thing all the time!  It's perfect for keeping the hair out of the face when on the work site or when painting sets or just doing laundry.  I even wore it when I took my nephew to Fort Morgan and to the beach, because it keeps my hair from blowing around.

So anyway, I've been searching for several months to find a good shawl pattern to use up this wool.  It's so pretty and nice, I just had to find something good.  I tried designing something, but it's going to be more of a stole, I think, and I wanted a triangular shawl, like the arrowhead lace should have been.  So here's what I'm working on now:


This little beauty is called the Dragon Scales Shawl and I love the way the pattern is starting to emerge.  I think it's going to look great!  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, and if I decide I like the pattern, I might get some variegated laceweight and do another one.  It really should be done in laceweight rather than worsted like this wool is, but I wanted to use up what I had.  I like substituting needles and yarn anyway, so it's fun!

So yeah, I'm having a blast with this pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment