Tuesday, April 17, 2012

First Second Trimester Dr Appointment

So it turns out I have only gained 5 pounds during this pregnancy so far.  I'm pretty impressed with that, actually!  With all the carbs I've been shoving down, I expected it to be more.  Yesterday's appointment was actually pretty funny.  The OB wanted to listen to the heartbeat with her doppler, and she had just as much trouble getting Pintsize to sit still as we do at home!  At one point, she asked us which one was the stubborn one in our relationship.  I retorted that baby would be getting that particular trait from both sides!  She did finally get him/her to be still long enough to record a heartbeat, which was in the high 150s and was very strong.  She said it sounded perfect.

After that, we talked about the quad screen, and since we opted out of the NT scan because my insurance wouldn't pay for it, we decided to go ahead with this screening test.  It will tell us what our odds are of certain birth defects.  We have already decided we just want to know so we can be prepared, not so that we can take any measures to terminate the pregnancy.  So I guess we will be getting those results at some point soon, and I'm hoping the odds are so low that there is no doubt that our baby is totally healthy.

Best news is that we scheduled our anatomy scan for May 14, the day after Mother's Day.  That's when we will hopefully find out if it's a boy or a girl.  We don't currently have a preference, as long as the baby is healthy.  I would love one of each, but if we are not able to do that, it won't be a disappointment.  So in less than a month, we will know what we are having.  My joke has been that I think it's a girl, but Jon still thinks it's an alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment