Thursday, May 25, 2006

Hectic days are here again...

Work has been crazy this week! Two grants are due tomorrow and we have about 6 media events coming up in the next couple of weeks. Of course, all the events need to be planned and then executed, and there is a lot of preparation work for a couple of them. But you know, I'd rather be busy and hectic than bored. I've worked at boring jobs before, and one thing I can say about this one is that it is absolutely not boring! Yesterday was funny, getting paid to spend 5 hours sitting behind a table at a mall is odd, but I'm not going to complain! Actually, I got to know the ladies from the major volunteer organization in our town (because their table was beside mine) and we had a nice time people watching and chatting about everything. Oh, and there's this absolutely adorable meteorologist from one of our local news stations that I've been admiring for some time now, and he was at the mall representing his station, so at least there was a good view. I tried to get up the courage to talk to him, but I just couldn't. There was a time, not too many years ago, when I would have been able to saunter right up to him and say something clever and cute. Where did that girl go? I want her back! And that's what I'm going to work on next, getting that confidence back. I have lots of confidence in myself as a professional, as a writer, and in my various talents, but I have no confidence when it comes to my physical attributes. So that's my big project for however long it takes. Wish me luck!

I worked on the outline for After the Storm yesterday and today. I'm about halfway through the character profile for Elisabeth, the heroine of the story. As it is a romance, there will be a love interest. His name is Bryan and all I know about him so far is that he used to own a nice house, before the hurricane wiped it away. Not much to go on, I know, but the rest will come to me while I'm doing the profile, or while I'm writing the story. It never ceases to amaze me how stories take on a life of their own. For example, I found out halfway through Summer's Blossom that Craig (the male lead in that story) had a sister. And it was revealed only at the end of the story that he had a brother who lived in another town! So I had to go back and add in parts about the brother and sister to make it right. Strange, huh? Stephen King talks about this in his book, "Misery." He says when you're writing it's like a hole opens up in the page and the story plays out like a film before your eyes. Of course, when I read it's like that too. I don't really think of words as "just words" in a story, I see the story in my mind while I'm reading and writing. And, as I said, it amazes me everytime.

Okay, enough of that rambling. Sometimes I just get off on a totally different subject. But if you've visited this blog before, you know that already!

No comments:

Post a Comment