Monday, October 20, 2008

NaNoWriMo - again!

So here we are, only weeks away from the next NaNo adventure!  I've sent messages to people in my region, have started recruiting new people, and have received my goodies for the kickoff party.  The only thing I haven't done is.... figure out what I'm going to write!

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I could start something new that I haven't thought of yet and just see where it goes, but that kind of writing tends to stress me out and I end up producing something I can do nothing with at the end.  I work so much better after carefully planning what I'm going to do, which totally explains why I've spent almost a year on this crazy outline!  it's funny, I've worked on it a lot but have removed such large sections of it that the word count has remained the same.  I've also done lots of notes, handwritten things in my notebook, so they don't count toward the word count either.  So the outline is actually a little better off than it looks right now.

So anyway, I guess in the next couple of weeks I'll come up with something to write.  I went onto the NaNo site and read some of the novel summaries that other people were doing and actually recognized some of the stories as ones I've read before.  For instance, one person is writing a book that sounds just like the premise of The Neverending Story (a story I've loved my entire life, by the way) Of course, that's fine if they don't ever want to publish, but I think it's more of a challenge if you make up the story yourself, if you create the world and you come up with the premise, rather than just retelling someone else's story with your own spin.  To me, that's fanfic, and not what NaNo is about.

But hey, at least they have a story, right?  I don't even have that yet!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:10 PM

    You'll come up with something, I'm sure.

    What's your idea of a brain candy read? Something light, fun, and quick.

    Try writing something like that.

    Create a character. Create the family and friends. Do the what if? and take it from there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 PM

    Just stopped by to say hello...I'm CoveredInYarn on Ravelry. I wish you the best of luck. Know that even sometimes your best laid plans take a turn on their own...that's what just happened to me anyway...I wish you the best in thinking of a story idea. Have you thought of creating your character first and then letting the story be built around it? I do that sometimes. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about a story that centers around a very specific place, like that pier we used to sneak to in Daphne? So many stories and stories-within-stories were made there over time. That was what popped into my head first, and if I had the discipline and talent you do, I'd write it myself! ;0)

    ReplyDelete