Thursday, December 20, 2007

and the fundraiser begins again...

Work
Planning for the new fundraiser is kicking into high gear now since the new year is almost upon us. I updated the packets the way we usually do and was getting ready to send them out when my boss said she thought it should have a little more "flavor." I asked her if I could change everything, including the logo, and she said yes! So I spent some time yesterday creating a new logo and a new packet. It was actually a lot of fun. I do think the event is going to be better in 2008 than it has ever been in the past. We're moving to a new venue, we've changed the name so that we can include restaurants that are not specifically "gourmet" places, and we're changing the atmosphere from "sit down dinner" to "great big party," including two cash bars (one inside and one outside) and a dance floor. Anyway, work is pretty good right now and I'm happy about that.

Life
I was going to finish my Christmas shopping tonight but it was raining like crazy when I got off work and another cold front started moving in, so I decided I didn't want to get wet and cold. I'm meeting my mother for a shopping trip after work tomorrow. It should be a lot of fun. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I enjoy spending time with my mother, but I don't care. We are more like friends now than mother and daughter, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Writing
The short story is still not working out. I haven't written a short story in forever, so I think it's a matter of getting used to the format again. I've been doing some more research on publishers and agents for various projects, and I've been checking some freelance job boards. I have yet to pitch anything, but I'm lurking the boards trying to summon the courage to actually pitch. I obviously have a long way to go before I can do this for a living!

Knitting
I'm working on the felted bag I mentioned before. I don't really have a pattern for it. I'm just sort of knitting until it's the length I want it to be and hoping it will work out okay! I had some wool left over from my felted box project, so I'm using that right now. It looks like I'll need a little more of it, but I'm going to get it in another color for two reasons: #1 I want the bag to have more than one color and #2 I lost the labels that came on the yarn so I have no idea what the dye lot number is so I can't buy the same one. I'm thinking I want the front and back to be one color and then the bottom, sides, and handles to be the other. It could look cool. We'll see! I'll post pictures when I have more progress. There's really nothing to see at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Remember to keep copies of the work you did for your portfolio -- it's important so you can show it around and use it to pitch for freelance gigs and other jobs, should you wish.

    With the short story, think of it as opening the window on a specific event in your character's lives and keep it focused just on that one event and how it changes them forever. It's also helpful if you have a very contained time frame.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete