Friday, February 10, 2006

What makes you happy?

I've been thinking about happiness a lot lately... about what it is and about how you can have it. My friend Chris says that the thing he loves most about me is that I find joy in everything. I think that has a lot to do with my faith, and with the fact that I'm just in awe of everything around me and the beauty and potential the world holds. But what makes me happy? There are so many things...

Loving someone
Being loved
Making a loved one happy
Holding hands with someone
Being with my family and friends
Small victories over technology
Accomplishing something
Reading a good book
Writing a good book, lol
Watching a sunset
Hugs
Playing with my sister's kids
Good conversations
A great movie
Chocolate
Seeing a friend accomplish his/her goals
Cheering people on
Encouraging someone who is down
Giving gifts
Singing
Being on stage
Praise/worship
Living a spiritual life
Praying
Playing computer/video games
Finding something cool on eBay
Winning something cool on eBay (lol)
Making someone laugh
Laughing (with someone, not at them)
Knowing the answer
Long walks on the beach, at night
Swinging (like on a swing set like when you were a kid)
Dancing (when nobody is watching, of course)
The beauty of nature
Music of (almost) any kind
Romantic gestures
Rainy days/thunderstorms
Looking at the stars
Smiles
Staring into soulful eyes

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

So what makes you happy? Make a list!!!

6 comments:

  1. I think that joy is a fundamental part of the faith. I know many Christians who don't have it, but I know some that have discovered that well and are surprised by its depth.

    What does it say? Something like...

    I found whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course, I hit enter is mid thought.

    Anyway...

    That verse backed up by another in Timothy to the effect that contentment is half of the recipe for GREAT GAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. So many Christians are not filled with this joy. I personally don't know how people live without it. I have found in my life that, even in the toughest situations, when I should be extremely sad or upset, that I still have that joy deep inside me. Yes, I do feel sad and upset, but there is a hope. That hope is part of the joy that is always there, no matter what the situation. That hope, and the never ending joy, are the things that keep me going. They are a gift from God, as are the things on my happiness list.

    Thanks for your comments, Eduardo. I always enjoy hearing your input. I read your blog too. I should make some comments on yours, shouldn't I? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No!

    I truly believe that there should be no obligations with blogs. We know we are throwing these thoughts into the wind. Some will find their mark and merit a response. Most will not. I think it has to be that way.

    If we introduce some feeling of automatic reciprocity I think we have begun a bad thing -- a mutual admiration society, if you will. If that happens, then the true beauty of the blog is lost.

    Does that make sense?

    I guess I feel the same way about linking because someone linked to you. If you really read or want to recommend, fine. But we must all resist automatic return linkage.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, I get what you're saying and I actually do agree with you.

    But I did comment on your blog last night. Because I wanted to, not because I thought I should. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, want to know something strange? A friend just emailed me the same verse! I don't know if she saw this conversation on my blog or if she just wanted to share it. But here it is...

    Philippians 4:11 (KJV)

    Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

    That may be one of my favorites, along with Romans 8:28, and of course John 3:16 (every Christian's favorite verse)

    ReplyDelete