Tuesday, February 19, 2008

crazy

Can I just say that I think I have gone completely insane? Insane, I tell you! The two nights I had off from Misery, I spent at the theatre auditioning for the next show. That's right. I went to auditions Monday night and was called back for tonight's auditions. We were there for about three hours each night, each person reading different parts with different people. It was unlike any audition I've ever experienced - and it was the most fun I've had in a long time! Did I get a part? I have no idea. I'm sort of on the edge of the age groups needed for the various female characters, but there's one really good one in my age group that I'd enjoy doing. I'd prefer one of the older roles, just because it would be an absolute blast to play, but I think he's going to stick pretty close to the suggested ages. We'll see what happens. I know one thing, I don't harbor any delusions that I'll get a part because I know the director and stage manager. They will cast who they think is right for the parts, regardless of whether they know them or not. And that is how it should be.

Anyway, we had about 50 people audition during the two nights. It was pretty amazing! I was happy with the turnout, especially considering the dreadful turnout for Misery. I felt responsible for the poor turnout for Misery because it was my first time doing publicity for a theatre activity. It turns out that people just were not interested in being in a two person show. This time, they poured into the theatre. I really enjoyed watching everyone read. I don't envy Tim the job he has of casting 17 roles from the 50 people who read.

Tomorrow starts our final week of Misery. Three shows down, 5 to go...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:57 AM

    It's not that people aren't INTERESTED in being in a two person show. It's simply that there are only two roles -- fewer opportunities -- so anyone will self-esteem issues will take him or herself out of the running.

    While at the B'way, off-Bway or regional level, the performers are frothing at the mouth for such an opportunity, the self-esteem and, frankly, the worry about time involved in such a large role often keep people away.

    Hope you get a part!

    ReplyDelete