Sunday, March 18, 2007

I'm going to try to do better

I promise I'll try to write more here. I know I've been slacking lately. It sort of feels like I never have free time anymore, but it's not a bad thing. It's actually a pretty good thing, for the most part. So here's a quick update on what's been going on...

Work is going well. The freight train that is the Annual Gourmet Chef Challenge is moving right along at a frightening speed and is actually going well. Since it is our only annual fundraiser at this time, I always feel so much pressure for it to go well. It always does, and the worst thing that has happened since I have been involved with the event was last year when we ran out of napkins, but since it was pretty much the end of the night anyway, it wasn't a disaster on a major scale. I did make a note to order more napkins this year, just in case. I've written four grants in the last few weeks, which is some kind of record. I hope we get most of them, because the sheer volume of grants I'm writing lately is sure to bring down my ratio, unless we get all of them (which is very unlikely, of course!) I have a contract to do tomorrow, and several other priority projects, so this week is going to be interesting.

I've been looking at property and houses lately. Real estate is insane around here. They are asking completely crazy amounts of money for the smallest places that are literally crumbling. The standard of living is supposed to be lower here, so what gives? Salaries are much, much lower than they are in other places, but housing is higher than median wages can support. And all the while, the farmland is being turned into subdivisions with expensive homes that nobody is buying. The market is flooded with houses, when just a year and a half ago the market was flooded with people looking for houses. I think the developers counted on the Katrina victims just staying around and putting down roots here, but they are all going back home now and there are vacant homes everywhere. Of course, they wouldn't be vacant if they were reasonably priced! It's insane. So it's back to the idea of an apartment closer to work, if I can find a good one. Wish me luck... it hasn't been an easy search.

Play rehearsals are still going well. I think I made a breakthrough with the character, thanks to some great advice from the director. She's amazing, and so is the cast. It's so much fun seeing all the pieces turn into a coherent story, to see these crazy characters come to life. It's one of the things I love about being in plays. I also love getting to know the other cast members, and today I got a chance to talk the actress who is playing the lead. We were both early for rehearsal, so we sat down and talked for awhile. It was nice. I'd love to do that with each one of the cast members, as well as the director and the stage manager. Of course, it probably won't happen, since we are all working so hard to learn the play and everything, but maybe we will get a chance to talk at the cast party... lol...

Writing is also still moving along at a nice pace. I've done some additional work on "Under the Magnolia Tree" and am working on a couple of ideas for "Deadly Council" as well as the second (currently untitled) Deadlines book. I have all these ideas zooming around in my head, including something inspired by a dream I had the other night. I'm not sure if it'll work, but it was an interesting dream that I think might make an interesting story. If I can make it work. I'm also trying to think about Script Frenzy and whether or not I am going to participate. I really want to, but I've never written a screenplay before and I'm not sure I want to learn by doing a one month challenge, you know? Of course, some would say it's the best way to learn...

I'm thinking about taking ballroom dancing lessons. I don't know why, but it sounds like fun. I'll post updates on that when I decide when and where I am going to do it. I guess it would help if I had a partner to dance with, but maybe I can find one when I get there. Hopefully...

Well anyway, it's after 11 p.m. and I have work tomorrow, so I should wrap this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment