Friday, March 17, 2006

One reason I love Alabama


So it may have its drawbacks, but look at how pretty this is. I took this out the window of a van, somewhere around Coffeeville, coming back from my disaster volunteers meeting in Butler, Alabama this week. Although there may be buildings, subdivisions, and other development around it, there is still some natural beauty to be seen in Alabama. It's something I hope we never lose completely. Alabama really is a pretty place. I used to hate living here, but as I've gotten older, I've come to really appreciate the Southern lifestyle. We're a lot more advanced and progressive than people think, and we really do have a lot to offer. My hometown is having its annual Arts and Crafts festival this weekend and I can't wait to go. I'll take some pics and post them, I'm sure. It's my favorite Springtime event, and every year it just gets better. Who knows, this year I may even buy something! :)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Anita,
    I happened upon your blog today so I thought I'd say hi. I live in Alabama as well and I couldn't agree more. It is a beautiful place.

    I love Firefly too! (well anything Joss Whedon really)

    I didn't have much time to read your blog today because I am about to leave work, but I'll be back later.

    I hope where you are in Alabama does not see any of the bad weather we may be expecting later.

    Have a good night,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon,

    Yes, there's a town called Coffeeville. I'm going to research the origins of the name as soon as I get a chance. I don't think they grew coffee up there at any point, which is the only reason I can think of for the name. But there are some odd places in Alabama with some very strange names, so who knows?! I'll post the result of my research when it's finished, just in case you're curious. (and I agree with you, any place called Coffeeville can't be bad... although we didn't see any coffee shops, oddly enough)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live and work in Alabama, too, and would have a hard time leaving. In fact, I have left the state several times now, only to return. You can't blame it on my not being adventurous to live anywhere else, either - I've lived all over the country. It really is amazing here, despite our outward reputation. Most of it is simply not true.

    ReplyDelete