Monday, July 07, 2008

Great weekend!

Wow - I had an amazing 4th of July weekend!  I hope you did too.  I'm not even sure where to begin...

Thursday evening, I took the kids shopping to buy some fun things to play with on Friday.  We got a badminton/volleyball set and a giant frisbee.  We also got some snacks and sodas.  I knew the morning/early afternoon on Friday would be family stuff and that we would have a little time later in the day for together time, so I wanted to make it fun. 

Friday was great.  We set up the net and I played with them for awhile.  Hannah and Kohl got a phone call from their dad, saying he wanted to pick them up for some quality time, so that left Noah with me.  We convinced my parents to play badminton with us, so we had the first ever Girls vs Boys Family Badminton Tournament.  I have no idea who won, because we didn't keep score, but it was such fun!  Noah and I made lots of jokes about the "old people" but truthfully my mother is in much better shape than I am, and other than tipping over once because she reached too far back to hit the birdie, she did very well!  We played for about an hour and a half, then went inside and watched Independence Day, waiting for it to get dark so we could shoot off the fireworks Noah and I bought the day before.  Now that was fun!  I taught him all about fireworks safety and how to light the fuse and run away and he did very, very well.  He's a cautious kid anyway, so I wasn't worried.  Okay, I was a little worried - cautious or not, he's still only 12 years old!  So we had our own little fireworks show, which turned out really great, mostly due to the one that he picked out that shot big ones up into the air just like the ones they use in real fireworks displays.  We made a note of the name so we could buy them again one day.  It was called Zero Gravity, in case anyone wanted to know.  Anyway, that was really cool. 

On Saturday, she dropped Noah off again and we went to the movies.  We got about 10 minutes into Kung Fu Panda and lightening struck a major substation, cutting the power to the entire town.  We sat in the theater waiting for the power to come back on for about 15 minutes, but decided to take the free passes and go home. 

We tried again Sunday and really enjoyed the movie.  In fact, we were having so much fun that we decided to see The Incredible Hulk after Kung Fu Panda was over.  We decided we liked it better, mostly because of the great action sequences and special effects.  I'm a sucker for a good action sequence, and it looks like Noah is too!

In the midst of all this activity, I also did a ton of laundry (still more to do) and finally managed to finish inputting all my vocal parts for the show into the computer.  I made a practice CD and am listening to it right now!  It's so helpful - I've already identified about 6 places in different songs where I've been singing the part wrong!  Yikes!  Time to learn it right. 

Oh, and I took my car in for a safety recall.  They called just now to tell me it's fine, but they informed me that I need a front and rear brake job because my brake pads are wearing thin.  The cost?  $460!  I told them my daddy would change the brake pads, thankyouverymuch. 

Oh, and I managed to get some writing and some knitting done, but that's too much info for one post!

No comments:

Post a Comment