Sunday, July 27, 2008

finished except the curtain call

Yay! We finished blocking Act 2! We ran most of it after we finished blocking, but it was getting pretty late, so we stopped.  One of the girls has a sitter for her kids who has to be home at a certain time.  That's the way it works in community theatre, I'm afraid!

I'm almost completely off book now.  I do have a couple of parts that I'm a little unsure of, but those are the new ones that were given to me just last week, so I figure I've got a pass on those for another day or so.  I'm also setting up publicity now so that we will have a lot of it before we open.  It's a tough time for a show and our run goes through Labor Day weekend, so it's going to be a challenge getting the audience in the seats.  Add to that the fact that it's not one of the "famous" musicals that the other community theatres do every few years, and you've got yourself a publicity challenge.  We're trying some new things and are really hitting the quilt and craft shops hard so that those folks will know about the show.  I think it'll do well - but there's always a little nervous feeling in my stomach before a show because I don't want the actors to play in front of a half-filled theatre.  Almost my entire family is coming, so that will fill a few seats!  I have several friends coming too, and my coworkers all said they would like to come, so hopefully I'll have some support out there!

Have I said how much I love this show?  I absolutely love it.  There is so much to it, you know?  It's challenging and fun - and I think the audience will leave the theatre and talk about it, which is what you want.

The lovely woman who is making our costumes told me the other day that another local theatre is doing Company in May.  I've never seen it before, so I looked it up and it sounds great!  I bought the soundtrack from iTunes just to see what the music was like and I really enjoyed listening to it.  I think it will be a fun show.  I'm going to try out.  I'm in the right age range for several of the female roles, so that's good!  By May, I should be in much, much better shape too, so that will be perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:25 AM

    I'm glad you're having such a great experience.

    COMPANY is a terrific show -- definitely go for it!

    ReplyDelete