Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Ocean

I have lived by water my entire life, and it holds some kind of power over me. As a child, I used to sit on the beach and wait for the sun to set. Why? Because at one particular moment, there is a path of light that stretches from the beach to the horizon. It looks like the path can take you to the end of the earth. When I was little, I used to imagine stepping onto that path and walking to the end of the earth. What did I find there? Well, that depended on what I wanted to imagine that day! Sometimes it was a magical land with beautiful creatures who all wanted to be my friend. Sometimes it was a dark and scary world that only I could save. Sometimes it was just the end, and I would stand over an abyss, wondering what could possibly be beyond it.


As an adult, the water holds a different kind of power. I go to the water for peace. If I've had a bad day, or if stress is trying to take over my life, I simply go to the water and sit. Sometimes I catch the sunset and I always try to have my camera to capture that moment, but even when I miss that moment, the beach is a special place for me. I sit on the beach and close my eyes, allowing the sound of the waves to wash over me, cleansing my soul and bringing peace to me. Sometimes I pray, sometimes I write, sometimes I just sit and think about everything or nothing. No matter what I do when I'm there, I always leave feeling peaceful and happy.

3 comments:

  1. I find the sea very peaceful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post. Loved your childhood imaginings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Yes, there's nothing like water to replenish the soul.

    what a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete