Wednesday, February 20, 2008

things happen for a reason, right?

I just got the call saying I was not cast in the play. That was fast, huh? I'm wondering if my one role was just a fluke and I'm really not very good, or if it's just a case of me not being right for any of the parts. Most of the roles in this show are outside my age group, as I mentioned before. So maybe that's the reason. I had a nice comment from the stage manager, who I am honored to call a friend. She really is an amazing person. She said between auditions for the show I was in last year and auditions for this show, she saw a lot of growth in me, especially in my confidence onstage and my ability to do some character work on the spot. It was nice to hear that. It cushioned the blow of not being cast in this show, and she reminded me that we do have the musical coming up, which is the one I really want this year. If I don't get a part in the musical, that's when I'll be crushed. The thing I regret most about not getting a part in this play is that I'm fairly certain some of my friends are going to be in it, and I hate to miss being a part of a cast with them! But maybe next time, right?



But at any rate, it looks like I'll have lots of time to concentrate on Draha, which is really what I need right now. I haven't done any real writing in quite awhile and I miss it. Oh, I know the outline work has to be done and I'm doing it very faithfully, but I miss writing dialogue and detailed description. I'll concentrate really hard on getting the first book's outline finished so I can start doing some actual writing. It's too bad I'll have to scrap most of my NaNo work and start over. It made good background, but it wasn't quite right. I know that now, and can use some of it, but I'll be starting the wordcount over and rewriting most of what I plan to keep.



I know it sounds like I'm just trying to make myself feel better about not getting a part, but it'll be nice to have my evenings free for writing and knitting. I'll have free time from now until late June, when we audition for the musical, because I'm skipping the third show. I have too many work commitments during the rehearsal time that would really cause trouble. In fact, I think I would pull out all my hair and have a nervous breakdown if I tried to be in a show at the same time as this massive work project that is coming up in May. (I can't talk about it yet, but it's going to be extremely exciting!!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:32 AM

    It's good to know when to pull back and keep your life balanced.

    The only time you should go show to show all season is when you're being PAID for it.

    Otherwise, you get to pick and choose.

    ReplyDelete