Wednesday, January 03, 2007

productive day

After work, I had to do a favor for someone that lasted a couple of hours, but once that was over, I had a very productive evening. I did the first session in the Couch to 5k running program. It was really tough, since I'm very out of shape, but I managed to keep up with the intervals and didn't fall off the treadmill until it was over. (then, of course, I crawled off, lol)

When that was finished, I did about 10 minutes of strength training with the 5 pound weights that have been sitting in my exercise room, staring at me, for several months. I've started SparkPeople again, so tracking nutrition and exercise is easy! Seriously, if you've never tried SparkPeople and you want to lose weight, you should check it out. According to their nutrition tracker, I've consumed a little over 1200 calories today, and my range for each day is 1200-1500. I had a little more yesterday, but still in my range, so that's good.

After I finished exercising, I felt a surge of creativity, so I started mapping out the YA fantasy story that I've been itching to start. It's still just a beginning, just an idea, but it's starting to take shape. I have several pages of notes about characters and settings, and an inkling of a plot. It should turn out to be a series, so I'm working now on what will be the overall arc of the story and thinking of what types of subplots would work best with it. It's more ambitious than anything I've ever attempted, and I'm a little nervous about it. Of course, the best way to do these kinds of things is to dive in, whether it's just writing or doing some research. I am diving in with both feet!

Now that I'm finished with that, I'm going to knit a little before going to bed. I find it's the perfect thing to do as I'm winding down in the evenings. Eventually, I'll finish this first scarf and can start on some new projects. I'm so excited about this new hobby, and I'm really committed to learning everything I can about it. I met someone else around my age who knits, and we're talking about starting a Stitch n Bitch group. I hope we can get that going, because it'll be great to meet other knitters. Since I've started knitting, I've discovered something interesting. Several of my online writer friends are also knitters, and several of the knitters I've found online also write. I wonder why? I guess it has to do with creating things from what looks like nothing. Writers weave words to make the fabric of a story, and knitters do the same with yarn or other fibers. Either that makes a lot of sense, or I'm just delirious from the exercise...

1 comment:

  1. Those are my days for weight training too! I'm sore today, but it was totally worth it. I actually can't wait to get back on the treadmill this evening and do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete