Monday, June 13, 2005

"Not Guilty"

I'm not going to give my opinion of the Michael Jackson verdict. I think that subject has been discussed enough. My concern is for the masses who have been keeping vigils for Michael Jackson, standing outside the courthouse and waiting anxiously for the verdict. I saw on CNN today that there were people forming a human chain from Neverland Ranch along the route he was taking to the courthouse.

I guess my question for these people is, do you have a life? I mean, I don't understand why these people would give up so much time out of their lives to hold a vigil for someone they've never even met. He's a freaking celebrity, he doesn't care about those people! They are just nameless faces to him! So do these people have jobs? Did they actually take time off to do this? What did they say to their bosses to get this time off?

I can see the conversation now:
Boss: What can I do for you today?
Employee: I need next week off.
Boss: Well, it's going to be a busy week, is it vital that you are off then or can you do it another week?
Employee: No, it has to be next week.
Boss: Big plans?
Employee: Yes, Michael Jackson's verdict is going to be handed down one day next week and I want to be there for it. I want to hold a vigil for several days and I will only come home when he is cleared of all charges.
Boss: Why in the world would you waste your vacation on that? (looks confused as he signs the vacation request)

And so on...

Anyway, I just think these people are really interesting and I wonder about their lives. I hope the vigil made them happy and fulfilled them in some way. I guess everyone needs something to believe in. It's just sad that they are worshiping Michael Jackson instead of someone who could really fill that void in their lives. Like God. But that's another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment