Tuesday, June 14, 2005

"Dear God, How are you?"

So it's Day 2 of Bible School and I'm still alive. That in itself is a miracle. Tonight, I had the oldest group, 5th and 6th graders. They were quite the handful, but a lot of fun. Our Bible School theme this year is Ramblin' Road Trip, which means the kids get to go to a different destination on their "road trip" each night. I am teaching Destination: Worship in Washington D.C. It's funny, I've actually learned a lot from the lessons I'm teaching.

Anyway, when I was preparing my lessons before the week started, I had an idea to let the kids write postcards to God. So I made these blank postcards and told the kids to write whatever they wanted to say to God. I got some of the cutest answers. My favorite is the title of this post: "Dear God, How are you?" Such a simple thought, but also very cool. This kid felt familiar enough and comfortable enough with God to ask Him how He was doing. Anyway, I thought it was cute.

So it got me to thinking. In the Bible it says if we have the faith of a little child we can do anything. It's so easy to have faith in things when you're a child. You don't question anything, you just believe. Which is why I think that passage is so profound. We can do anything, ANYTHING, if we just believe without question. I often question things. I am not the kind of person who just blindly believes. When I go to church and hear a sermon, I typically will go back and look up the scripture and meditate on it myself, so I can figure out what it means to me. Sometimes it is the same as the message from church, but sometimes my experiences and my perceptions make the same verse apply to a totally different area of my life. Of course, that is the most wonderful (and potentially dangerous) things about the Bible. You can interpret things in different ways, which is why it is so personal for everyone, but is also the reason there are so many cults that lure unsuspecting people into a web and they end up drinking Kool-Aid or something. These cult leaders twist scripture around to fit their own agenda, which is just truly scary to me.

But I digress. I'll leave this post with my favorite verse: Romans 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, for those who are the called according to His purpose.

To me, this verse says that no matter what difficulties we may face in life, we can be assured that God can turn our bad situations into something good. I can attest that this verse is true, because what could have been the worst thing in my life (my divorce almost 6 years ago) turned out to be the catalyst for the most positive thing in my life (graduating from college and getting my current job, which I love.) So I can testify to the truth in this verse, and so many others. It's really awesome when you stop to think about it. God Rocks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment