Sunday, May 01, 2005

Go take a (hitch) hike

As a fan of the books, I wanted to see this movie very much. Not to mention I was told that the Serenity trailer would be attached to this movie. (see previous post for information about said trailer)

The movie is very good. It is bizarre, funny, and visually interesting, just as expected. Unfortunately, some of the humor from the books doesn't translate well into the movie, and it leaves people who haven't read the books at a bit of a loss about certain key plot points. For instance, my best friend saw the movie with me. She hadn't read the book and was very confused about some of the characters and their pasts, as well as their motivations, etc. Some plot points escaped her too and I'm sure it's because of unfamiliarity with the source material, since she is actually a very sharp person who is usually able to spot things in movies way before I do!

For fans of the books, this movie will be the ultimate geek fest (and I say that in a good way, being somewhat of a geek myself) If you haven't read the books, you might want to do so before watching the movie. Or if you don't, the movie might inspire you to read at least the first one so the details in the movies will be a little easier to understand within the context of the richly detailed book.

No comments:

Post a Comment