Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sheltered

I have lived a very sheltered life.  I pretty much just discovered this.  I always thought I had a little "street smarts" or at lease common sense about how to deal with people and situations.  But maybe not.

Recently, I was driving along, minding my own business, and I witnessed someone throwing a rock into someone else's windshield.  I was horrified.  The car that was hit by the rock stopped and the driver got out of the car to confront the rock thrower.  I put the car I was driving in reverse and got the heck out of there, heart pounding and wanting to cry.  I've never witnessed anything like this before.

It was a kind of traumatic moment in my life and even thinking about it now freaks me out a little.  Why did this adult female throw a rock into someone's back windshield?  What could drive someone to do such a thing?  Why is it okay to damage someone else's property with no real regard for what that person will go through to get it fixed?

Recently, a hit and run damaged Jon's car.  Why is it okay to drive away from the scene of an accident, leaving the person who was hit (who had absolutely no fault in the accident because they were sitting still at a red light) to pay for the damage to their car.  Why is that okay?

I'm finding myself very frustrated with people lately.  People are mean and horrible.  They insult and hurt each other, online and in real life.  They are passive-aggressive about things that are actually none of their business.  They hit people with their car and drive away.  And now, people are throwing rocks at other people's cars.

What creates this attitude of disregard for our fellow man?  Why is there so much anger?

This post has no real point, other than to throw my frustration out there into the world.  I have no doubt that someone will have something snarky to say about it, but that's okay.  It's my blog and I'll say what I want to.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. I get so frustrated with how I see others treat people. Since when is it okay to make up lies about people, say horrible things about them behind their back, or purposely go out of your way to hurt them somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true, Leo. Making up lies about people is another example of how awful people are toward each other these days. How do we fix this "out for yourself" attitude that so many people seem to have right now? I wish I knew.

    ReplyDelete