Thursday, October 27, 2005

Shots (Not) Fired

Okay, if anyone saw the news last night that said there were shots fired at my place of employment, it was not true. The news was mistaken. There were no shots fired at the place where I work, nor have there ever been shots fired here, nor will there ever be. (hopefully)

I actually work at a very safe place. The shots were fired at the old location of my organization, a place I've never even been because we moved three years before I started working here. Everyone has been calling here today because they caught the incorrect part of the report but not the part where they corrected themselves. So it's been kind of interesting today.

You know, it's scary to me how much trust people place in the media. People at my church were afraid for my safety because they saw something on the news. We are supposed to be able to trust the news, but sometimes it fails us. So today's lesson is: don't believe everything you hear, even if it's on your evening news.

2 comments:

  1. People definitely trust the news more than they should. Everything is biased and the only way to keep up with anything is to read everything. Or maybe I'm just a hardened cynic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think you're "hardened" at all. In fact, I think more people should subscribe to that type of cynicism because it would save them a lot of worry when something false is reported. Of course, in this case it was just a mistake, but I know the national news is very good at coloring stories to fit their own political agenda. You know it's bad when you can find a 24 hour news channel that reports the news in a way that will not conflict with your political beliefs. Liberals like CNN, Conservatives like FOX News. Personally, I get all my news from Jon Stewart. He makes fun of everyone equally. That's my definition of "fair and balanced!"

    ReplyDelete