Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina on its way



Look at this picture. It's simply amazing. The power of this storm is truly awesome. A Category 5 hurricane in the gulf, headed for New Orleans.

I fear what will happen tonight. Not really for me, because we are out of the projected path, but for New Orleans, which is one of my favorite places to visit, a city with immeasurable charm and an infectious love for the good things in life (like good food and great music!)

Katrina is bearing down on New Orleans like a giant train heading for a brick wall, only the train will break through the wall and keep on going, I'm afraid. My heart and my prayers go out to the people of New Orleans. Know your friends in Alabama are thinking of you today and tomorrow.

Right now, an outer band is over my house. There is thunder and lightning. It's raining pretty hard, but the wind isn't too bad. I don't expect much wind here at my house. The problems in Alabama will be in the immediate coastal areas and the rivers. I'm far enough inland and high enough to be safe from that. I will spend this night monitoring the weather for any change in path and praying for the people in New Orleans. Maybe the storm will weaken before it hits them.

No comments:

Post a Comment