Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Brothers Grimm a twisted fairy tale

First off, I want to say this: DO NOT TAKE YOUNG CHILDREN TO THIS MOVIE!!!!!

It will scare them to death! Heck, I'm not a kid and some parts of this movie grossed me out and/or scared me a bit. But other than those bits, it was an interesting, entertaining and very strange movie. My best friend summed it up perfectly when she said, "It was good to see once, but I don't ever need to see it again."

It was definately that kind of movie. The Brothers Grimm starts with two young boys, their mother and their sister, who is very ill. One of the boys comes home and the mother asks if he sold the cow to get money to take their sister to the doctor. He said that he sold the cow and opened his hand. In the hand lay some beans. Magic beans, he said. One can only assume the sister died because they couldn't pay the doctor in magic beans.

Fifteen years later, we meet the brothers again, only this time they are the lovely Matt Damon and Heath Ledger. And can I just bask in the glory of those two adorable men playing brothers and having all that screen time together. (I think I need a boyfriend, lol) Anyway, they are traveling swindlers who prey upon the legends and superstitions of villagers by making their stories come to life using actors and lots of neat tricks, and then ridding the town of the menace. All for a heafty sum, of course. This seems to be a grand way to make money until someone sort of messes up their plans. I won't go any further just in case you want to see the film unspoiled. I will say this. The brothers get themselves in some pretty grim situations before the movie's end. It's positively hair-raising at times. (ugh, there are puns flying all over the place)

One thing that makes this film fun is the "can you spot the fairy tale reference" game that I personally played in my own mind throughout the movie. There are so many and it is really quite interesting to see how many you can spot. The story isn't just a rehashed fairy tale, though. It is more of a mixture of many stories, but told the Grimm way, not the Disney way.

Have you ever actually read a Grimm fairy tale? My best friend has a book of them and, let's just say that the stepmother in Cinderella doesn't shove the stepsisters' feet in the slippers, she actually removes toes with a shiny kitchen knife. That's gonna leave a mark!

Anyway, the end is fun and the movie is definately worth seeing once. See if you can name all the fairy tales. It really is quite fun!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Hey thanks--my cousin and I were going to go, but ended up going to "40 Year Old Virgin", BAD choice. Not funny at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:51 PM

    Sorry! I haven't actually seen that one, so I couldn't give an opinion. I'm going to be a little behind for a few weeks because of the hurricane. My town is still under a curfew! I haven't had a curfew in 11 years! Oh well, hopefully it'll be over soon. But I have actually heard that 40 year old virgin was stupid, so I hadn't planned to go anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:17 PM

    I really liked Brothers Grimm and thought it was very well done. I went alone and wanted to take my fiance to it but it was already out of theaters. I liked it enough to want to see it a second time and will buy it when it releases. I love Grimm's Fairy Tales. I love the scariness and darkness of the tales. I have a book that explains the stories, as well as what was happening around the world during the time it was written and it's really interesting to read why they chose to write them so dark.

    ReplyDelete