Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Reading World Tour

I'm starting a new "little" project concerning books and perspectives.  It has to do with my word of the year, which I will post about later, but first I want to talk about this project because I'm super excited about it.  

Reading World Tour!  

So what is this?  What does it mean?  Well, for the next few years, I'm going to try to choose at least one book from each country in the world to read.  I'm going to focus on books by writers from each country and will choose books that are set in that country as well, or at least mostly in that country.  I want to find books that will help me broaden my awareness of different perspectives and cultures from someone who actually knows, rather than someone who did some research or whatever.  I don't have a system for choosing books or what order I plan to go in.  I do have a few books in mind for different countries, but that may change. One thing I absolutely want to do is research the country as well, so that I can learn more about each one.  I think having some background before reading will only help to understand the perspective.  There may be countries that have no books that have been translated into English.  Maybe?  If that turns out to be the case, I'll try to find something else - short stories, articles, or anything else that helps me understand the perspective of someone from that country.

I found this site for tracking, Read Around The World Challenge, but I think I'm also going to use an app I found for my phone that is really meant for which countries you've visited, but I think I'll be able to adapt it to use for my reading challenge as well.  Either way, the site above has some suggestions for books for many of the countries, which I'm sure will help.  

Any suggestions are welcome, if I still have people visiting this blog. I'm hoping to revive it with this project and some other things I'm working on.  

Check the Reading World Tour page here on the blog for updated info, reviews, and maybe even some surprises from each country/book as I finish each one.  Would you like to join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment