Saturday, September 05, 2015

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

I posted this photo on my personal Facebook page a few days ago and had people asking for the recipe.  I had no idea this would happen, nor that this beef stew would be recipe-worthy, otherwise I would have put it on the blog already!  It's one of our stand-by recipes that we have at least once a month.  The leftovers are great lunches for the week and it is really delicious.  It's also super simple.

I just saute some minced garlic in a pan, then throw the stew meat in there to brown. I use the big package that they sell at Sam's. Brown it, then throw in slow cooker with some baby carrots. Seasonings can be anything you like. McCormick makes a seasoning packet for beef stew that I used before we got married, but Jon doesn't care for it, so now I just throw some spices in there. Usually some garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, etc. I make sure it is covered with some sort of liquid - either beef broth or water, and put it on high for 4 hours. I then cut up half an onion and 4 small potatoes (peeled). Cook for 3 more hours on high. The stew meat is falling apart by this time. The carrots are nice and tender and so are the potatoes, without becoming mush.

I serve it with some kind of bread, usually French or Italian with butter and garlic or Italian seasoning, but even regular wheat toast works. That's what we had the night I took this picture because I forgot to buy a fresh loaf of bread, lol.

Super easy and very good.


Don't have a slow cooker?  Where have YOU been?  ;)  It's okay, now is the perfect time to buy one, since we are headed into Fall, otherwise known as soup/stew season!  Check out this site for great slow cooker ratings and reviews.  You can find tips for choosing the best slow cooker for your needs and lots of ratings and reviews of all the top slow cookers on the market.

If you try this recipe, let me know how you liked it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment