Sunday, July 22, 2012

Glucose Tolerance Test

If there has been one thing (other than "advanced maternal age" and "birth defects") that has struck fear into my heart during this pregnancy, it has been the Glucose Tolerance Test and the possibility of having Gestational Diabetes.  Mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to have to change my diet!  We had our fateful test on July 9.  The sugary drink was terrible - it tasted like Sprite without the carbonation and about 100 times more sugar.  I barely got it all down.  We had a regular doctor's appointment after that, and then it was to the lab for the blood draw.  As usual, they had a hard time getting a vein and by the time they finally got all the blood they needed, I was completely wired from the sugar and the anxiety.  Afterward, it was just a matter of waiting for the results.  I never did get the phone call, so I'm going to assume, now that it's 2 full weeks, that I passed and everything is okay.  I don't know what my number was, but if they haven't called by now, I'm assuming it was pretty good.  So that's another big milestone for the books and I'm thanking God (and my pancreas) that we don't have to do anything special for the next 11 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment