Sunday, March 15, 2009

POD or something

I've been thinking a lot about doing some research into POD for a couple of my books. I've sent them off to every publisher that takes that kind of work and haven't had any good responses. Normally, I would say that must mean they are not very good and I should give up on them, but I really believe in them and want them "out there." Particularly Summer's Blossom. It's such a nice story with really good characters. I want people to get to know them. So I'm going to do some research and see what happens. The Writer's Life blog had a nice article about POD and its advantages and the process. They mentioned Lightening Source as their company of choice and gave a step by step description of the process. I want to be careful what I decide to do because I don't want to get caught in a scam of some kind, but I know there are legit ones out there and I will find the right one with lots of research and lots of questions to everyone I know who has done it before. I'm well aware of the PublishAmerica scam and have been a frequent visitor to Writers Beware, so I'm confident I can find the best company for my needs.

At this point, it's more about getting the book in print than making any real money doing it. I want family and friends to be able to buy it if they want and I want to give copies out for Christmas gifts this year.

One thing about POD and being your own publisher is that you do have complete freedom to do whatever you want to do. I can make it a series like I wanted and I don't have to follow any guidelines other than my own. That sounds really nice right now! Obviously, I'm not getting famous doing it this way, but I'm still trying the traditional route for other books. It's just this particular genre I want to try POD and see what happens with the others.

Anyway, that's something I'll be working on after Enchanted April closes and after we're finished shooting Crossroads. Seriously, my March, April, and May are going to be freaking INSANE!

No comments:

Post a Comment