Tuesday, April 18, 2006

awesome day

I can see the end of the ordeal... I walked across my office today! Yay! I feel like I got a lot done at work today, which is good. I was in a fabulous mood today for no particular reason. And tonight, when I was driving home from my fundraiser meeting, I was listening to music with the windows down and the sunroof open, and I just felt this unbelievable feeling of happiness. It was incredible. I was listening to this great song by Newsboys called "Joy" and I really felt that joy. It was great.

Speaking of music, Saturday I got a new CD, it's the Best of REM. And it really does reflect their best work. All my favorite songs are on there: Man on the Moon, What's the Frequency Kenneth?, Orange Crush, Imitation of Life, Losing My Religion, and Stand. Well... almost all my favorite songs are on there. Why does the Best of REM CD not contain It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I feel fine) How can they justify leaving that song off??? I must download it and put it on a CD.

So that got me to thinking... songs with lists are interesting. You know, like the aforementioned REM song, and that Billy Joel song, We Didn't Start the Fire. Remember that one?? I had a teacher in sixth grade (oh, I'm showing everyone how old I am now...) who offered extra credit to anyone who could accurately write all the lyrics down. Nobody could. This was before the Internet, of course. Now you can go to sites like this and not only read the lyrics but click on the links and learn why that particular word or phrase was important in history. Of course, most of these are pretty obvious. So let's see... I'm sure there are other "list" songs. Oh! La Vie Boheme from Rent is one. A great "list" song. I'm particularly proud of the fact that they include my distant cousin, Vaclav Havel, in that list. Of course, who wouldn't include a man so incredible? It is one of my greatest ambitions to meet him one day and tell him how much I admire and respect him, and how much of an inspiration he has been in my life.

I can't think of any other list songs that actually list events or people that are significant. There are lots of songs that utilize the "list" style, but I'm not really talking about those. I'm mostly talking about the ones that list actual events and/or people that define an era, a culture, or a group of people.

Okay, this was a totally random post, but it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment