Monday, September 01, 2008

Hurricane Season

It never fails. Right around the end of August, all eyes turn to the oceans and the gulf. I can't believe how crazy this year has already been, and what we are in for during the next few months. Before Katrina, hurricanes were merely an inconvenience for most of us living along the coast. But that storm opened everyone's eyes to the destruction that can happen with these storms. I'll never forget seeing the Mississippi coast after the storm. It looked like someone dropped a bomb on it or something.

Gustav was bad in Louisiana and Mississippi, but the Alabama coast was spared the worst of it. We did have tropical storm winds and a lot of rain - the river near my house was under a flood warning but I don't think it actually did flood - thank God. It was strange walking outside during the storm because the rain smelled salty, like the gulf water. I don't remember ever really noticing that during a storm before.

So now we have Hanna, Ike, and Josephine out in the ocean. I am hoping for the best, that they go out to sea and not hit land. Some of those areas on the East Coast have not had a hit for awhile, so I fear they will be unprepared.

Good luck to all coastal residents this season. I have a feeling it will be a busy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment