Monday, January 21, 2008

time off

I took Friday off and the organization is closed today, so I got a four day weekend. Trust me when I say I've enjoyed it!

Knitting
I worked on a new project - my first hat! I also worked on my first sweater. I'm updating the progress bar on the sweater according to skeins used rather than parts of the sweater done. I know it'll take 16 of them to complete the sweater, so I update the progress bar when I've finished one. So far: 1 down, 15 to go! Pictures to come for both projects. I haven't taken one of the sweater yet, and I got some more work done on the hat since the last shot, so I'm going to wait until I'm finished with today's work to take a shot of it. It's part of a KAL for the Brothers and Sisters group on Ravelry, so I'm really supposed to be knitting only during the show, but I can't stop! I'll finish it this week sometime and it'll be my first non-square/rectangle finished project!

Theatre
It's a busy time for the theatre right now! We have a production coming up and auditions for the next one. I'm working on press releases and other publicity material for these, as well as the program and poster. The director got a graphic designer he knows to do the poster, which is great because I wasn't sure what to do with it! For the next play, I have a great idea for the poster. I hope the director likes it!

Writing
Noah drew a picture of my "big bad" for Draha. It was incredible! Now he's going to draw all the characters, according to my physical descriptions of them. This might actually be a hook, a book for children/young adults actually illustrated by an 11 year old boy. I wonder if publishers would go for that... The outline is still coming right along. I stopped the actual writing in favor of finishing the extremely detailed outline of all five books. I knew it would take forever, but I'm committed to ironing out the basic structure of the overall story before going further. I don't want to write myself into a corner without knowing where to go from there. I've had that happen before and had to rewrite a lot of the story. I don't want that to happen with this story.

Work
I start training my replacement tomorrow. It should be interesting. Some of my coworkers are unhappy that I'm leaving and I'm afraid they won't be friendly to the "new me." I plan to invite her to lunch with us and urge her to come along. It'll be extremely important for her to connect with them early on, so that they will see that she's a nice person who will fit into the group. I have gotten to know these people in the last three years and I love them very much. I want them to be happy with my replacement.

Life
I'm going to get my oil changed in a few minutes. It's way overdue. Hopefully it won't take too long!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:35 AM

    You can only do what you can do for your replacement. If the co-workers are going to act in an infantile manner, she'll leave and it won't be your problem.

    Regarding the book -- the norm is that publishers choose the illustrators. I'd suggest finding an agent willing to take on you and Noah as a team, if you're serious about this, because a new author does not have the clout to bring in the illustrator of choice.

    Either that, or publish a half a dozen books that do well first, so you have the track recored to put it in your contract.

    ReplyDelete