Wednesday, August 08, 2007

making decisions

Graduate school, here I come! I've started studying for the GRE. For the program I want to enter, I have to have a score of 1000. I took a practice test the other day and did pretty well, but I think I can do much, much better. Writing is my ultimate dream, but I want to get this Master's degree so I can teach. I can just see myself teaching public relations and public speaking, writing for the media, and other similar classes. Oh! Argumentation! That would be fun too. I'm still looking for another job and I'm hoping it will be in another type of public relations. All experience I'm getting now will be valuable when I start teaching. I can really convey to the students what it's like to work in the field. I had a teacher who had worked in corporate, nonprofit and government PR, and she had such a wealth of information to share with us! It was great learning from her. I had hoped to get a government job, but it didn't work out. I'm thinking now that doing PR for an educational institution would be great, and I have three resumes out for that.

I gave myself a little break from writing yesterday. I got something in the mail that deflated me a bit and I needed to regroup. Rejection letters are no fun at all, are they? And this one was from the publisher that does not accept simultaneous submissions. Oh well, it's with another publisher now and I will keep writing. I've heard that you shouldn't be a writer unless you absolutely cannot imagine yourself doing anything else. It's that kind of passion that will keep you going in the face of so much rejection. I agree with this, and can't imagine not writing, so I keep writing. It does make me wonder (again) if I'm really a good writer or if people have just been nice all these years.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:33 PM

    Rejections are never fun. Good for you in getting it right back out there. Keep at it.

    Are you sure you want to teach in the traditional sense, rather than run workshops and go on the public speaking circuit? There's very little money and many, many horrible politics in the former jockeying for the jobs, while in the latter there's much more potential for income and growing your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not people who have been nice. You have a passion for the craft that evidences itself in your every project.

    ReplyDelete