Wednesday, July 08, 2015

"Driving Grandpa" is a delight






Every once in awhile, a story will come along that warms your heart, makes you laugh, and really touches you because the characters are so REAL.  Driving Grandpa is one of those books.  It is a simple story of a man who takes on the job of driving his Grandpa around after he is no longer able to drive himself.  One would assume Grandpa is the one getting the benefits from this arrangement, but the narrator (and the readers) are the ones who truly benefit from Grandpa's entertaining stories and perspective.  Grandpa is a WWII Vet who has lots of stories to share.  And while his grandson takes him along while he drives for work, Grandpa shares those stories and so much more. 

I can't help thinking about my own grandfathers, both of whom passed away before I was an adult.  I wonder what their stories would be like if they were alive today, and I find myself envying the narrator for the time he has with his grandfather, knowing how quickly that time passes.

This book is family-friendly and a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment